Volunteers help operate the Danbury Animal Welfare Society shelter. Volunteering even a few hours a week makes a big difference in the lives of animals in need! We have a variety of volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups who want to get involved.
All of the following activities, and more, are performed by volunteers: training and exercising our dogs, cat socialization and grooming, cat trappings and rescue, shelter animal transport to and from the vet and adoption counseling. We also have marketing, fundraising and maintenance opportunities for those who do not wish to work directly with animals but still want to make a difference. View our volunteer openings.
All new volunteers are required to attend a General Volunteer Orientation.
October 8th, 2016 from 10:00am to 12:00pm
Orientations are held in the DAWS Community Room at our shelter
For information on the Vounteer Program, or to sign up for orientation, please contact a Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
What will you learn at DAWS Orientation?
- DAWS history
- Dog Program Volunteer opportunities
- Cat Program Volunteer opportunities
- Foster Program Volunteer opportunities
- Other Program opportunities (TNR, community outreach, and special events)
- DAWS policies
• An additional 1 hour training on dog handling is required for dog handlers, generally immediately following General Orientation, for those who wish to work with dogs. Please wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes.
What do I need to bring to DAWS Orientation?
• Completed application (see link below)
• Copy of your driver’s license or photo ID
Download and complete the volunteer application.
We ask that adult volunteers make a commitment to serve regularly and consistently in one program or on one committee. Regular and consistent service means completing a minimum of two, two-hour shifts per month for a minimum of 3 months in either the dog or cat programs or working for four hours per month on one of the committees.
Volunteers under 18 years of age are not able to work directly with our animals. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to see how young people can help.
If you are volunteering as a requirement for School or Court Mandated Community Service hours, a short interview is required prior to attending orientation. Please e-mail email@example.com to request an interview.