DAWS now offers Assistance and Support to Alter Pits, ASAP for short.
In keeping with our mission, our goal is to reduce the number of homeless and unwanted Pit Bulls euthanized each year by offering low-cost spay and neuter services for these animals in our community.
If you have a Pit Bull over the age of 3 months that needs to be spayed or neutered, we offer the following services and prices:
Details of the ASAP Program:
All dogs - $75 for spay or neuter
Possible Additionald Costs:
- cryptorchid (testicles not descended) - an additional $50
- due for Rabies, Distemper Parvo (DHPP) vaccines* - an additional $15 per vaccine
The initial $75 price includes:
- Surgical exam,
- IV fluids for females (and for males, if needed),
- Post-operative pain medication,
- Anti-inflammatory medication for you to administer at home.
- We do not offer preoperative bloodwork and we require you to sign a Medical Authorization Release Form. We will not alter an animal in heat.
- Because we offer this program at such a low cost, we cannot provide any overnight stay or post-operative care once the animal leaves the shelter. We will accept cash and credit card payments, sorry no checks.
- If you have a Pit Bull that needs to be spayed or neutered, please email DAWS' Shelter and Clinic Manager, Veronica Bickelhaupt, at email@example.com.
- To download the ASAP Flyer, click here.
- *Proof of vaccination required.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. Why is this program only available for Pit Bulls?
- A. We selected Pit Bulls because they are the most-bred and most-euthanized breed in America. According to breed resources including Pit Bull Advocate 101:
- Pit Bulls are surrendered more often than any other breed,
- Pit Bulls are the most bred dog in the U.S. and the hardest to find homes for,
- One million dogs classified as a Pit Bull are euthanized each year,
- Two-thirds to 80% of the pit bulls entering shelters are surrendered by their keepers, and
- For every one Pit bull placed in a forever home 599 are killed.
- We offer low-cost spay/neuter for other cats and dogs, but the ASAP pricing is specifically for Pit Bulls. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Q. If my dog has kennel cough will DAWS still alter?
- A. No we will not. We do not want to compromise the animal’s health.
- Q. Can I get my dog vaccinated in addition to spay/neuter?
- A. Yes. We offer vaccines for Distemper Parvo (DHPP), and Rabies at an additional charge of $15 per vaccine.
- Q. What happens if my male’s testicles haven’t descended?
- A. There will be an additional charge of $50.
- Q. Can I pay with a check or credit card?
- A. No, this is a cash only program.
- Q. Is my pet too old to spay/neuter?
- A. Older pets may react negatively to anesthesia, which is the biggest risk, although the benefits of altering outweigh the negatives.